Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Road Trip Wednesday





This week's YA Highway Road Trip topic:
What was the best book you read in October?






I've had another fabulous listening month. I'll tell all on Monday for my How Many Have you Read/Heard Contest.


Meanwhile, my choice for favorite this month matches last month's (DIVERGENT) in that they're both Highway contributer books:






In this modern retelling of Lysystrata, the girls  of  Hamilton  High  go  on  a  sex  strike  to  get  their  boyfriends  to  stop  fighting.




I love that this book deals so directly and broadly with the issue of sex. I know, I know...as YA authors, we're told to avoid seeming like we're lecturing to the reader...we're also told that some agents/editors will cringe away from books that feel, in any way, like "issue" books, but  Kody  Keplinger has  pulled  it  off  again  (the  issue  minus  the  lectures)  in  an  even  more  direct  way than her first book.

Yay, Kody! I love,love, loved it!

Also, my super-agent, Suzie Townsend, is having a Query Contest next week where everybody wins. Check it out, HERE.

What about you? Favorite book this month? 

8 comments:

  1. Interesting ;)
    That one is already on my TBR list ... I'm excited to see how the sacred issue of sex in YA is handled here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read SHUT OUT--THE DUFF is one of my all-time YA faves. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read anything by Kody Keplinger yet, but I just might have to. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this book has been on my TBR list for a little minute now. im thinking i might have to push it to the front :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you enjoyed Shut Out. It's one of my favorites for the year so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved The Duff, and I can't wait to read this one! Sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right. Kody has a knack for getting to the heart of matters without coming off didactic. I loved this book and can't wait for her next one!

    Thanks for the heads up about Suzie. I wish I could enter, but the manuscript needs more cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shut Out is on my wish list. I was blown away with The Duff, so I have a feeling I'd like this one, too.

    ReplyDelete