Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Road Trip Wednesday-The Prom

First off, sorry for the sad picture scan...I can't seem to save/edit them any different way.

For YA Highway's Road Trip Wednesday this week, we're supposed to share our prom-dest memories.

The Prom! What fun! What freedom! What special treats! 

First, you have to understand the deprivation...Nowadays, girls wear formal dresses to middle school dances, but back in the eighties (for me, at least) the proms were it...the only two times I spent more than twenty-five dollars on a dress for a dance.

And staying out late? Well, for the Cinderella me, midnight was it. Always. EXCEPT on my two prom nights.

Ah, bliss.

And the planning:

-Dinner out before...also, not the usual for just any old dance (or date, for that matter).

-Pictures at various houses

-The formal dance- the only time we had a live band instead of a DJ.

-Afterprom- with matching casual outfits for dates (I know, how pukey sweet, but it was so cool then)

-The next day- canoeing my junior year and Kings Island amusement park senior year.

Ah, what fun. Did I already say that?


What about you? Prom- Boring? Bliss? Trauma? Heartbreak? 

7 comments:

  1. Great picture! I enjoyed proms but there was a lot of stress involved. Not having enough money to buy the coolest dress, my lacking sense of fashion and never knowing if I picked an ugly dress, the stress of getting asked by someone you didn't want to go with - which happened a couple time. But overall it was just a great time with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had such a positive experience, Jennifer. We didn't have proms in the UK when I was at school, so I had to be creative with this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your prom dress on the right looks a lot like my mom's wedding dress, haha... she got it at a prom dress shop, I think. How weird.

    Did you go with the same guy both years? I can't really tell from the pictures, but if you did, that's super-cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal- I did go with the same guy both years...each year our plans were different enough that it was still fun...and it was mostly about being with our friends anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your proms sound like a lot of fun. I stressed out about mine, and in retrospect I wish I had just gone with some friends and had fun! I do remember being very excited about my dress and feeling a bit like Cinderella.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My prom was in 2004, 2005, and 2006. While we wore nice dresses to homecoming, prom was formal wear. We all got gussied up, wore make up, it was amazing. I LOVED prom. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that red dress! I bet you guys were exhausted for your trips the day after!

    ReplyDelete