Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Best of April



This Week's YA Highway Road Trip Topic:
What was the best book you read in April?
 
 
 
Wow. Have we really reached the last Wednesday of the month again? I blinked and there went April.
 
 
 
But I do have a long list of audiobooks I listened to (more about all of them next week). Today I need to pick a favorite.
 
 
 
 
I liked everything for different reasons this month...nothing stood out completely, but the one that surprised me most was DREAMLAND SOCIAL CLUB, by Tara Altebrando.


A girl discovers her roots when she moves to Coney Island, the place she came from but has never been.

It's a quiet story, subtle but still strong. The thing I loved most about it was the fact that the main character is Coney Island...where it was, is, and will be...a wonderful tribute to this unique landmark and the spirit it embodies.
What about you? Heard/read this one? What was your favorite April read?

6 comments:

  1. In YA? ANGUS, THONGS AND FULL-FRONTAL SNOGGING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I hadn't even heard of this one. Sounds really good! Maybe I'll head out there and read it on location this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - April went fast. Too fast. I think it has to do with me being on spring break. Can I blink and May go by?

    And I haven't heard of this one. Will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this one and really liked it. I can't believe it is almost May. This year just seems to be flying by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear Tara Altebrando speak on a panel for Teen Author Festival--she was great! DREAMLAND SOCIAL CLUB sounded really cool, and I'm glad to hear you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard about this one before. I'd love to know more about Coney Island. :) My favourite April read was GRACELING (followed closely by FIRE) by Kristin Cashore. I hope she keeps on writing in that world, because it's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete