Monday, April 9, 2012

Lucky Seven- Tagged

My agent mate, Kathy Bradey, tagged me to do Lucky Seven.

The Lucky 7 Meme Rules
■Go to page 77 of your current MS/WIP
■Go to line 7
■Copy down the next 7 lines–sentences or paragraphs–and post them as they’re written. No cheating.
■Tag 7 authors
■Let them know

Since I'm not sure my publisher will allow me to post anything from Cheater Beaters yet, I went through all my manuscripts and picked the best Lucky Seven stand-alone moment.

It's from my college-set book, One Hundred To-Dos. Okay, so even this one isn't totally stand alone...one of the things on Liz's to-do list is to collect seventy-five beer bottle caps. She was starting her collection the first time her and Greg met.

**********************

“No, he’s not.”

“Well, one thing’s for sure. That boy’s scalding hot for you.”

“Yeah. Well. That’s just a guy thing.”

Greg squeezed back through the crowd with three beers held between the fingers of one hand. In that moment, I saw him through Carmen’s eyes. Not broad or chiseled enough for pure hunk material, but the chestnut hair and dark complexion made him a boy-next-door chip off that block. I’d had better-looking guys come on to me—ones Carmen might even pant over—and I thought, Why him?

Then he smiled at me. Tug. Tug. Now I remembered, Why him.

Greg used the delicate coordination guys seemed to reserve for the handling of alcohol to twist off all three bottle caps with his free hand. Then he fisted that hand in front of me. I put out mine and he dropped the bottle caps, one by one, into my palm. As an added gesture, he reached into his pocket and pulled out three more. With each added plunk, he tugged on that invisible string between us. 

Carmen cleared her throat and reached for one of the three beers he still held in one hand. “Thanks.” She took a swig. “Nice to meet you, Greg.”


**********************

 Okay, now for tagging seven more writers...if you've already done it, please feel free to ignore the tag. Or even if you haven't, please feel free to ignore.

Julie Musil
Meredith Moore (after your blogging break, if you want)
Carrie Monroe (after your A-Z blogs, if you want)
Jaime Morrow (after your A-Z blogs, if you want)
Alison Miller (after your A-Z blogs, if you want...or maybe "L", for Lucky)
Laura Pauling
Patti Nielson


What about you? Done/seen this before?

5 comments:

  1. Love this line: "Greg used the delicate coordination guys seemed to reserve for the handling of alcohol" Such a great, and true, observation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your description of Greg, and the part that Rebecca mentioned. I'd love to read more about this guy :)

    Thanks for thinking of me! I was tagged in March, so I'll just give you the link. My WiP has actually changed since I posted this, but not by much. Here it is: My excerpt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a fun excerpt! Thanks for thinking of me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! Love seeing these pieces of everyone's WIPs! I just don't know if I'm brave enough to share. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this. You really pulled me into that moment. Thanks for the shout out. I'll have to go look through my manuscript now.

    ReplyDelete