Monday, June 20, 2011

Favorite Books Blogfest

Teralyn Rose Pilgrim at A Writer's Journey is hosting a blogfest where we pick our five favorite books, say what they're about and why we like them...what fun! I think I've mentioned all these books before on my blog at one time or another, but I hate to miss out on any chance to go on about my top book loves.

 Wacky and irreverent...it's set out this world but hits so close to home...which is what it's about and pretty much covers why I love it too.

Slaughterhouse-Five Also wacky and irreverent...seeing a pattern here?...but this one even the literary snobs have to take seriously. Miss you Kurt Vonnegut!!! But your message does live on!

Pride and Prejudice Not wacky, but still irreverent...in a sneakier way. Jane Austen is brilliant with characters and dialogue...plus I'm a total hopeless romantic, which means I must love everything Austen or they'd kick me out of the club ;)


The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) Take Shirley Jackson's short story, THE LOTTERY, add a reality show and rebellion...Dystopian at its best...realistic, poignant and brilliant. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you don't have to be a regular YA fan to love this series.

Wintergirls  Teen Anorexia...I know, not wacky or irreverent, and no anti-war messages or romance like my other choices, but trust me when I say this is one of the most well-written books of all time...I bow to you Laurie Halse Anderson...as a humbled fellow writer.

What about you? What would your top choices be? Any match my own? 

13 comments:

  1. LOVE how varied your picks are. Well, and LOVE all your picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did really like Pride and Prejudice but it took me over 100 pages to start getting into it. In the end I loved it and went on to watch every film version --I like the 1940 Olivier version the best.
    I think I may have to read The Hunger Games series.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see Hitchhiker's Guide on your list. And Slaughter House Five has been on my TBT list for years. Decades actually. I really should go to the library and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The answer is 42. (Or was it 24? Golly it's a long time since I read Hitchhikers). Great descriptions and have to admit I'm not familiar with the rest though I have to read The Hunger Games as this is the 3rd time )at least) I've come across it on this blog fest - must be a goodie. Like your style and so will follow. My selections are over on my blog - I'm no 13 in the list. (Yes the kangaroo one).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love P & P and Kurt Vonnegut - can't wait to check out the rest on your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some great books! I included The Hunger Games as well. And thought about adding all of the others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen several of your choices on other lists today. I will definitely have to read The Hunger Games. Thanks for the reviews - I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! :-) I didn't know Wintergirls, but your recommendation really makes me want to check it out.

    Lovely to meet you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hunger Games is definitely mine. And Wintergirls - pretty good - and very spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't heard of Wintergirls, but I'm a fan of others you put on there. Shockingly, I haven't read Slaughter House Five and I've been meaning to for a really long time. The Hunger Games is one of the first books I recommend to someone looking for a new writer to get into.

    Tina @ Life is Good
    and I are joining forces in another challenge. We're going to visit and comment at each of the participants, starting with the reflections post. We hope you'll join us!

    Shannon @ The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, I had P&P on my list too. :) I added most of these to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE your list!!!! I have heard great things about Wintergirls, I really need to add this one to my list of TBR haha.

    These are all excellent choices. You have good taste in books. :P

    ~TRA

    http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete