Thursday, March 10, 2011

Favorite Picture Book Blogfest

 Come Blog With Me!

Today, I'm going to rewind my book love a few years...In college, I read literature by night and picture books by day (I worked at a child care center), so when I saw this blogfest, hosted by The Write At Home Mom, I couldn't resist.

And, of course, I can't pick just one.

First, the best all-time classic to read to reluctant/fidgety little listeners:

The Monster at the End of this Book (Big Little Golden Book) (You pretend you can't turn the pages, and they have to "help.")

And almost anything by Audrey and/or Don Wood will also work:

Silly Sally (Red Wagon Books)   Quick as a Cricket (Child's Play Library)   The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear (Child's Play Library)

This one I've read so many times I could recite it in my sleep:
 One Hungry Monster

The beautiful art of Denise Flemming In the Tall, Tall Grass

A teddy bear story has never been so clever:  Where's My Teddy?

And Pigs have never been so funny: Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore! 

Finally, my favorite for parents to read to their kids: I Love You, Stinky Face  

 Wow. That was fun. Thanks for that walk down memory lane.

What about you? Any picture books to recommend?

14 comments:

  1. That is a great list! There were a few in there I don't know, so I'm making my own list. : )

    Thanks for participating! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great choices! I love that you chose a mix of age ranges, and types- funny ones, gentle ones. Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh! THE MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS BOOK was my childhood fave! I still have my very worn, falling apart copy. Great list. My new favorite, introduced to me at work, is THE INTERRUPTING CHICKEN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved The little mouse, the red ripe strawberry and the hungry bear. Loved it! I had a whole lesson to teach with it - which is now buried in my attic somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know most of these, so I made a LOOOOONG list. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh!!! I used to love to read 'There's a Monster at the End of this Book' to my kids or to my preschool kids! So much fun! We just had a ball with it. I did a pretty mean Grover voice too, I will add (she says modestly). And now I have more books to add to my must-buy list! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so ridiculously cute, I want to buy them all for my niece. Okay, okay. For myself!

    I gave your blog some awards! Yay!

    http://marierearden.blogspot.com/

    :), Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, and I thought I posted too many. ;-)

    Some great books even though I haven't really read any. The only reason I recognize is Silly Sally from the mention on the TV show According to Jim. But some of the books you posted here have great covers, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know a few of these and I bet my class of 3 y.o.'s would love them. I love Audrey Wood. Napping House is a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Monster At The End of This Book is one of my childhood favourites too!
    I still love it and won't part with it. Mind you, I had the whole Sesame Street Series books that Mum passed on to a family friend. I see the odd one in an op shop every now and again and it takes me back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful, varied list! Don't know most of them, and am intrigued by the first one where you need 'help' to turn the pages. Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great list! I love sitting and reading one PB after another. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh I haven't read any of these - am loving this blogfest and the wonderful recommendations coming out of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some of my favs:
    The Napping House by Audrey and Don Wood
    Pish, Posh, Said Hieronymus Bosch by Nancy Willard
    The Spider and the Fly by Mary Howitt

    ReplyDelete