Sunday, September 26, 2010

Banned Books Week

See full size image

I kicked off Banned Books Week today by ordering some challenged/ banned YA books from my library.

My TBR pile now includes:

VAMPIRE ACADEMY (already have on my MP3)
LIVING DEAD GIRL
AND TANGO MAKES THREE (picture book. Okay, not YA, but I was curious to see it.)
THE CHOCOLATE WAR (actually can't believe I've never read this classic)
THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN 


And Mon-Thur this week, I'll be writing about a challenged or banned book that I've already read (or listened to) and loved, ending with my most-loved choice on Thursday. If you want to join me on Thurday, sign up on Tahereh's blog here

I'll throw in the disclaimer (probably every day) that I do believe every parent should know what their child is reading and watching and playing (video games). Parents should also be talking to their kids about how all these things do and don't match with their beliefs and values. Sheltering young adults may seem preferable, but with the way media and pop culture is today that's not always possible. Talking to them is always possible.

Any Thoughts? What are you doing for Banned Books Week?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn! I'm so intrigued about the book, Spoke by Laurie Halse Anderson because it is also one of the books that some people want to ban, apparently. So I think I'll get this book and read it over the weekend. Thanks for visiting my blog...its very nice to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Len- SPEAK is so worth reading. So is TWISTED, another Laurie Halse Anderson that has been challenged. Nice to meet you also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND TANGO MAKES THREE is my favorite picture book ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to post about banned books on Thursday. I just finished A Wrinkle in Time, and I'm going to read something else on the banned list this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Theresa- I'll look for your post on Thur:)

    ReplyDelete